The average cost for a patio cover is approximately $5,000 for the installation depending on the size of the cover. It is a great way to upgrade your homes exterior area without spending a fortune. However, some patio covers cost more to install than others. Here you can learn about the costs to install different types of patio covers.
Cost By Size of Patio Cover
- 10×20 ft patio cover: $1,500, ranges from $1,000-$2,000
- 80×20 ft patio cover: $5,000, ranges from $4,000-$6,000
- 100×100 ft patio cover: $7,500, ranges from $5,000-$10,000
Cost By Type of Patio Cover
- Aluminum Patio Cover Cost: $3,500, ranges from $2,000-$5,000
- Vinyl Patio Cover Cost: $5,050, ranges from $3,800-$6,300
- Wood Patio Cover Cost: $10,000, ranges from $7,000 to $13,000
- Lattice Patio Cover Cost: $5,750, ranges from $4,000 to $7,500
How Much Do Patio Covers Cost?
Using a 10ft x 10ft lattice patio cover as an example. using the majority of miracles the cost would be around $1,000 to install. This cost, however, depends on the patio cover and that can have a large cost range. obviously, the difference comes down to a few key factors of cost for the difference in the material costs for the patio cover you desire.
- The location (on dirt, a finished slab or slope) and the required dimensions for the final product.
- Whether you want a solid cover or a lattice cover.
- Most patio covered are fabricated from three materials, wood, vinyl or aluminum. The choice of material has an impact on the final cost along with the installation labor charges.
Keep in mind, harder and tricker installations will be more expensive. it is also easier to install rectangular covers rather than L shaped ones. Custom paint, lighting or footings will also increase the final cost you will pay for your patio cover project.
Aluminum Patio Cover Cost
The cost of aluminum patio covers is approximately $3,750. Costs of installation range from $2,000 to $5,500.
Aluminum has been a popular choice for decades due to it being inexpensive and versatility. Alumawood patio covers feature distinct wood grain patterns. This gives you the look of wood at a lower cost.
Another advantage is aluminum offers weather resistance from rusting, cracks, termites and rotting. They can be customized to meet your needs and preferences. Available in installed in a lattice style of cover, an uninsulated roof or a 3-inch thick high-density insulated foam roofing system. The cost will depend on the final systems, kits and styles used.
The installation of these kinds of covers is fairly simple to install as a DIY project for homeowners. You can expect the average 10ft x10ft lattice cover installation time to be around 8 hours.
A Newport cover measuring 10ft x 10ft installed professionally costs an average of $2,000 to $3,500.
The professional installation of a lattice cover measuring 10ft x 10ft averages $1,800 to $2,200.
A professionally installed Alumawood 3 inch think insulated cover measuring 10ft x 10ft without add-on’s averages a total of $3,600 to $5,500.
- Various colors and styles
- Simple to get permitted
- Simple and lightweight to install
- Good for resale
- Does not require painting, ever
- Does not rot or deteriorate
- Ceiling light and fan compatible
- Appearance like real wood
- If it is wrongly cut, an entirely new piece is needed
- A gloss look to paint
- It can be damaged easily
- Can appear like a kit cover
- Aluminum is not allowed by some HOA’s
Vinyl Patio Cover Cost
The average cost of a vinyl patio cover is $5,500. The cost of installation of a vinyl patio cover ranges from $3,800 to $6,300. However, generally speaking, when compared to aluminum or wood, vinyl is considered the worst of the three.
Fabricated from PVC, vinyl has a large range of applications. Three-quarters of plumbing pipes, for example, are made from PVC. It can be found in electrical piping, flooring and clothing. From oxygen masks to surgical gloves you can find PVC used everywhere.
Its enduring popularity is in part because unlike wood it resists warping, insects and rot and unlike aluminum, it will not fade, rust or crack. Although vinyl can on occasion, yellow over time. it also shares many characteristics with aluminum.
Vinyl is more expensive than aluminum because you require more of it to do the same job. Vinyl, for example, requires additional steel members to be installed for added stability at each piece of structure. Additional pieces increase the cost of patio covers for the vinyl due to more labor and material. Wood and aluminum do not require the extra pieces for stability.
A basic 10ft x 10ft fully covered vinyl patio cover, the average cost ranges between $3,825 – $6,275.
Solid roof patio cover DIY kits range between $1,800 – $4,300.
The average cost of vinyl lattice patio covers ranges between $2,200 – $4,350.
The average cost of DIY kit for lattice patio covers ranges from $989 – $3200 with custom cutting.
- Moderate damage risk
- Good resale value
- Does not need painting
- Does not rot or deteriorate
- Compatible with ceiling lights and fans
- A wrong cut requires a whole new piece/cover
- Certain HOA’s do not allow vinyl patio covers.
- The material fades over time
- Contractors sometimes use untreated wood as filler
- Requires add-ons for stability
- No smooth finish wood patterns
- Can yellow over time
- Engineering or drawings may be required for certain conditions
Wood Patio Cover Cost
The average wood patio cover costs about $10,000. The costs range for installation between $7,000 and $13,000. Drawings or blueprints are required for the design of a wood cover and will average about $1,650 and you can add another 41,500 for the cost of an engineer.
- Wood patio covers can be constructed to match the rest of your house or roof
- Wood patio covers use natural wood
- Wood is easily repairable if damaged
- Increases the resale value of your home
- Installation is easy
- Requires re-staining or re-painting ($2,00 every 2 years)
- Need an engineer and designer
- More expensive than aluminum or vinyl
- Extremely heavy
- Can deteriorate faster than aluminum or vinyl
- Ricks termite infection if not treated properly.
Lattice Patio Cover Cost
Lattice patio covers average about $5,750. The costs of installation range from $4,000 to $7,500.
- Same pros as wood patio covers
- Same cons as wood patio covers
Alumawood Patio Cover Cost
The average cost of an alumawood patio cover is $3,018 with installation costs ranging from $1,822 to $4,214. Although made from recycled aluminum, Alumawood has a wooden texture. They also make a fantastic choice as they will not rot or degrade as in the case of real wood. It also has the advantage of maintenance free.
- A wood-like appearance
- Little to no maintenance you associate with wood
- Not real metal or real wood.
The average cost for installation of a pergola is $5,250. The costs for installing a pergola ranged from $3,500 to $8,000 for the US in 2019. pergolas are sometimes called arbors and they are a very common kind of patio cover. it forms a nice shaded area that is perfect for relaxing and entertaining and is a simple structure to add to your outdoor space.
Lean-To Patio Cover Cost
Using the structure of the home to support one of the ends of the patio roof rafters, they are also called house-attached patio roofs. $1,660 is the average cost of a lean-to patio cover. Installation costs averaged from $,1400 to $,1925 in the US for 2019.
Cloth Patio Cover Cost – Awning Cost
Awning installation costs are $2,455 as per Homeadvisor. From data accrued from over 1650 homeowners, installation costs ranged from $1,250 to $3,691. On the low end, the cheapest price was just $400. At the higher end, $8,500.
- Portable Awning: $525
- Non Rollup Awning: $375
- Retractable Motorized Awning: $2,750
- Metal Awning: $525
- Retractable Manual Awning: $1,000
- Canvas Awning: $500