The average cost to build an outdoor fireplace is $3,000 in the US for 2019 according to Homeadvisor. To build an outdoor fireplace cost range from $1,500 to $20,000. Unfinished contractor models and pre-made kits normally cost between $1,500 to $9,000. If you want a fully customized project you would be looking at between $8,000 to $20,000 with the most expensive going up to $50,000. Space and budget are your only limitations!
Costs to Build An Outdoor Fireplace
For prefabricated kit contractors will charge an average of $650 with prices ranging from $300 to $1,000. Custom work obviously requires highly skilled labor masons normally charge by the project. Nonetheless, the underlying hourly rate averages $110 per hour with prices ranging from $70 to $150 per hour depending on the difficulty of the project and the type of material.
Prefab Fireplace Kits vs. Custom Builds
The cost of prefabricated kits is largely dependent on how elaborate you want the kit to be. They can run as little a $200 for a firepit to nearly $9,000 for a large stone fireplace. The average price of most kits is $3250.00 and they tend to fall within a price range of $1,000 to $5,000. However, some kits that are more customizable are available for a couple thousand more.
The average custom work cost is $14,000 with prices ranging from $8,000 to $20,000. However, your budget is really the only limitation here. Out of doors living spaces complete with ovens, kitchens, pergolas, patios and/or decks can quickly cost in excess of $100,000. However, you can save labor costs and get a matching look by putting together the whole outdoor living space together at the same time.
Average Fireplace Prices by Material
The kind of fireplace and the choice of materials all factor into the final price you will pay. These costs include a range of prefabricated kits to specliazed custom work. Adding a pizza oven or a grill can make the costs even higher. Discuss your options with a mason or design professional whose expertise is in outdoor living spaces.
- Stone: The average cost of a stone fireplace is $10,750. Stone fireplaces ranged from $1,5000 to $20,000 in 2018-2019.
- Brick: The average cost of a brick fireplace is $10,750. Stone fireplaces ranged from $1,5000 to $20,000 in 2018-2019.
- Metal: The average cost of a metal fireplace is $300. metal fireplaces ranged from $100 to $500 in 2018-2019.
Costs by Fuel Type
The type of fuel you want to use can also play a factor in the costs of an outdoor fireplace.
- Gas: The average cost of a gas fireplace is $3,375. Gas fireplaces ranged from $750 to $6,000 in 2018-2019.
- Propane: The average cost of a propane fireplace is $2,600. Propane fireplaces ranged from $200 to $5,000 in 2018-2019.
- Wood-burning: The average cost of a propane fireplace is $10,500. Wood-burning fireplaces ranged from $1,000 to $20,000 in 2018-2019.
- Electric: The average cost of an electric fireplace is $2,600. Wood-burning fireplaces ranged from $200 to $5,000 in 2018-2019.
Belgard Kits & Other Top Brands
Prices are going to be similar when you purchase kits of similar materials and sizes regardless of the brand you choose. Kits usually come in modular form, meaning you can start with just a mantle and a fireplace and add on. of course, the price goes up, the more you add! Also, consider your location. prices in urban and suburban areas are more expensive than prices in the majority of settings that are rural. Here is a price guide to some of the leading brands:
- Belgard Bristol, Wexfor, Jamestown & Brighton: The average costs for these brands is $7,000. Costs ranged from $2,000 to $12,000 in 2018-2019.
- Moda, Unilock Tuscany, Bella & Ventana: The average costs for these brands is $9,750. Costs ranged from $7,500 to $12,000 in 2018-2019.
- FlameCraft: (both unfinished and finished) The average cost for this brand is $5,750. Costs ranged from $4,500 to $7,000 in 2018-2019.
- Foyer and Techno-Bloc: The average costs for these brands is $3,750. Costs ranged from $2,000 to $5,500 in 2018-2019.
- American Fyre Designs, Phoenix, Mariposa, Firefall, Cordova and Manhattan: The average costs for these brands is $7,750. Costs ranged from $5,500 to $10,000 in 2018-2019.
Installation Cost Factors
The cost of installation depends on a number of factors including size, location and adding amenities all at a price.
- Size will still be the biggest deciding factor, the greater the size, the greater the cost. A firepit that is small and premade can be professionally installed for just $400. On the other hand, the wood burning fireplace that is fifteen feet in height complete with two wood boxes and a mantle can easily cost $20,000 plus. Location is also a very important consideration as some areas will require you to have a chimney not exceeding a certain height.
- Utilities average $20 per linear foot with costs ranging from $15 to $25 per linear foot. It is possible an extra 25 feet away may cost you $600 or more.
- Some areas may require or may you desire a chimney. The average chimney costs $1,500 with cost ranging from $1,000 to $2,000. Customized chimneys cost an average of $150 per square foot with costs ranging from $100 to $200 per square foot.
Adding To An Outdoor Kitchen
Outdoor kitchens cost an average of $11,000. The cost of outdoor kitchens ranged from $3,000 to $19,000 in 2018-2019. However, if you have the budget you can go as high as $50,000. Here are some costs of popular add-on’s.
- Pizza Ovens cost an average of $3,000. Costs ranged from $1,500 to $4,00 in 2018-2019. A very high end prefabricated Unilock Tuscany Brick Pizza oven, however, will cost you over $10,000.
- An enclosed patio, deck or pavilion averages $15,000. Costs ranged (depending on the size) from $6,000 to $40,000 or more in 2018-2019.
Maintenance & Repairs
- An annual fireplace cleaning cost averages $200. The cost of fireplace cleaning ranges from $100 to $300 in 2018-2019.
- The average cost of stone that has been weather damaged is $450. However, prices can vary greatly due to to the material used and the kind of weather damage that material has had to endure. Some repairs may cost upwards of $3,000.