Although we have had some big monsoon storms this summer in Arizona, here are some great landscaping tips to make your garden flourish even more.
- August fertilization will benefit many plants struggling to have a flush of growth before slowing down for the winter.
- Cut off spent blooms to stimulate re-blooming.
- Imported and native heat tolerant plants can be planted. They will need to be watered on a regular basis until fall.
- Transplant palms in the heat of the summer.
- Protect newly transplanted trees from dust storms and heavy winds by staking.
- Apply nitrogen fertilizer to your fall ripening fruit trees to boost fruit size.
- Apply zinc and nitrogen to pecan trees to produce normal size leaf growth and to enhance kernel development.
- Increase water to your landscape plants as the weather warms.
- Apply mulch to the ground around the base of heat sensitive plants keep the roots cooler and prevent evaporation. Keep the mulch several inches away from the trunk.
- Apply chelated iron to plants with iron deficiency symptoms.
- Plant Bermuda lawns during the active growing season.
- Once every two or three years de-thatch Bermuda lawns if necessary. This enables the turf to quickly recover.
- Apply one inch of water per week to Bermuda lawns at a minimum.
- Raise the mowing height to 2.5 to 3 inches during the warmer months to keep the moisture in the soil.
- Plant Seeds: Snap Beans, Bok Choy, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Chinese Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Collard Greens, Corn, Cucumbers, Kale, Kohlrabi, Lettuce (Head & Leaf) Leeks, Mustard, Green Onions and Summer Squash
- Keep your garden covered to prevent excessive heat and sun.
- Cut back on fertilizing established roses to encourage plants to slow down for the hot summer. Water deeply as temperatures climb. Hose off plants in the early morning to increase humidity and control spider mites.
Free Landscaping Quotes
Start creating your very own landscaping project in Scottsdale or Phoenix, Arizona by giving Arte Verde a call today at (602) 618-0688 to schedule a free consultation!